October 25, 2011

Day 05 - October 04, 2011

In the morning, we visited Peurto Egas where we saw a gang of marine iguanas, sea lions, and a variety of birds. The iguanas hang out together, and often on top of each other, so the parasites on their own body get transferred to their buddies, which makes a great breakfast, lunch, or dinner for them...yum! The sea lions here were also a little lighter in colour because of the dry land. We saw many birds this morning too, all ranging in different sizes and colours; no wonder Mr. Darwin had such a good time at these Islands.

Rabida was the afternoon's destination. The red sand beach is distinctive here because of the iron ore from the surrounding rocks. I remember this area the most because of the snorkeling. Devika decided not to snorkel today, so I went out with the group. The water was murky and it was easy to swim going out along the rocks. Since it was murky and therefore not much to see, I decided not to go ahead any further with the group and started swimming back. The current was particularly strong in this part, but strange as well; if I just stayed still and floated, I wouldn't move, but when I started kicking and swimming, I would hardly move! It took twice as long to swim back and I was exhausted at the end. I saw some sea turtles on the way back though!


The one of many gangs of Marine Iguanas.

Baby sea lion.



Empty sally lightfoot crab shell; they grow out of their shells every so often. I wanted to eat them so bad!


Yellow Warbler.

Galapagos Mocking Bird.

Galapagos Lava Heron.

Red Sand Beach.


Lost Sea Lion pup.

Dried up Star Fish on the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment